© 2000-2012  by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.
Postcards from Venice
www.aboutromania.com
Ca d'Oro (1421-1440)
Venice - Ca d'Oro (1421-1440)
Ca d'Oro was built around 1421-1440 for a nobleman, Marino Cantarini, in a style that combines Byzantine with Gothic style. The facade was gilded and this gave it its name Ca d'Oro, Golden House. In 1916, Baron Giorgio Franchetti donated the palace along with the art collection to the Italian state. Next to it, is the Pallazzo Sagreda, a late 14th century Gothic building, with an elaborate facade.