© 2000-2012  by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.
Postcards from Venice
www.aboutromania.com
St. Giorgio Maggiore Island
Venice - St. Giorgio Maggiore Island
From the Piazzetta St. Mark, the little island of San Giorgio Maggiore appeare like a stage set. The church and monastery are among Andrea Palladio's greatest architectural achivements. The architect worked on the project between 1565-1580. The basilica was finished in 1610 by Scamozzi. The Church is in the shape of an inverted Latin cross. Two great Tintorettos are hanging on the walls.