© 2000-2012  by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.
Postcards from Venice
www.aboutromania.com
The Ducal Palace
Venice - The Ducal Palace
The Doges' Palace was rebuilt a numbers of times from 9th century to 1340, when it assumed its present form. The facade overlooking the lagoon was completed between 1400-1404, whereas the Piazzetta side was not ready until 1424. A fire broke out in 1577, burning down an entire wing. Antonio Da Ponte, architect of the Rialto Bridge, restored the building to its 14th century appearance.