© 2000-2012 by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.
Postcards from Tuscany
www.aboutromania.com
Livorno - Piazza Grande
Tuscany - Livorno (Piazza Grande)
By the end of the 18th century Livorno became the second most important and populated town in Tuscany, after Florence. Today Livorno is a very important harbour centre, as well as the outlet for metallurgical and oil plants in this area. Famous monuments are the Cathedral, the Piazza Grande and Palazzo Comunale built in 1720 by Giovanni del Fantasia, Palazzo Mascagni which houses the Acquario Comunale, Piazza Micheli with the statue of Grand Duke Ferdinando by Giovanni Bondini (1595) and Royal Moat.