|Piazza del Duomo (Cathedral Square), is the centre of political and administrative power, with towers, buildings and the severe facade of the Cathedral (Collegiate Church). The Town Hall or Palazzo Comunale construction was planned in 1288 and the Council met for the first time on December 1298. Enlargements of the building took place in the 14th century and loggias were added in the 15th and 16th centuries. The Torre Grossa (1298) completes Town Hall. The colossal tower initially stood 64m high, but a partial collapse brought it down to 54m.