© 2000-2012 by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.
Postcards from Tuscany
www.aboutromania.com
San Gimignano
San Gimignano towers were built by rival noble families during the 12th and 13th century, when the town's position on the main pilgrim route from northen Europe to Rome, brought it great prosperity. The towers were used to defend the town, they provided a safe refuge and were useful for pouring boiling oil on attacking enemies. When the plaque devastated the population in 1348, power and independence faded fast and civic autonomy was surrendered to Florence.
Tuscany - San Gimignano