|Postcards from Tuscany|
|Pisa - The church of Santa Maria della Spina|
|The church of Santa Maria della Spina was built in 1323 by Lupo Capomaestro on the ruins of an ancient oratory, to house a thorn (spina) from Christ's Crown of Thorns.
It is a fine example of Tuscan Gothic art. The church was once even closer to the Arno, but was rebuilt on the present site, on the Lungarno Gambacorti, in 1871 to protect it from flooding.