© 2000-2012 by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.
Postcards from Tuscany
www.aboutromania.com
Pisa - The Baptistery (12th century)
Tuscany (Pisa) - The Baptistery (12th century)
The circular Baptistery, which is 55m tall and has a diametre of over 35 m, was begun in 1153 along Romanesque lines, under the direction of Diotisalvi and finished a century later, in more ornate Gothic style by Nicola and Giovanni Pisano. There are four entrance doors, the most important of which is the one facing the Cathedral. Inside the Baptistery, in the centre is the imposing Baptismal Font by Guido da Como (1246) and the famous Pulpit carved by Nicola Pisano in 1260.