© 2000-2012 by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.
Postcards from Tuscany
www.aboutromania.com
Pisa - The Cathedral and the Tower
Tuscany - Pisa
Pisa's famous Leaning Tower, called one of the world's seven wonders, was intended as a campanile to compliment the Duomo, Baptistery and the Camposanto. Construction started in 1174 under the direction of Bononno Pisano, and the lopsided settling was evident by the time work began on the third story. During the course of the centuries the Tower has continued to increase its gradient by about 1 mm a year. Now it has been firmly anchored to the earth. The Tower's maximum height is 56.70 m; the outer diametre of the base is 15.48 m; the maximum incline reached in our time is about 4.60 m