Postcards from Romania
Ieud in winter
Ieud was first documented in 1365 but evidence suggests the village was inhabited as early as the 11th century by Balc, Dragos Voda's grandson and later prince of Moldavia. In 1364 Ieud's fabulous Orthodox Church on the Hill was built on the castle ruins. It housed the Ieud Codex, the earliest known document written in the Romanian language in 1391 (now in the Academy Museum in Bucharest).
© 2000-2012 by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.