Postcards from Romania
Sighisoara
Until 1556 the Clock Tower was the seat of the town council. The four small turrets means the city authority has "right of sword", the right to convict criminals to death. On the lower town side, are seven oak figures that spin out when the hour strikes. The figurines, symbolishing the days of the week, were part of the original clock installed in 1648. The present Swiss movement dates from 1906. 
© 2000-2012 by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.