Postcards from Romania
Sighisoara
The Church on the Hill was founded in1345 and finished in 1525. In 1704 a fire damaged the interior. Substantial fragments of the late 15th century frescoes survive. The altar piece is a polyptych made by Johannes Stoss. He was the son of the celebrated Nuremberg sculptor, Veit Stoss (1450-1533), and he had a workshop in Sighisoara for nearly 20 years.
© 2000-2012 by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.