© 2000-2012  by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.
Postcards from Perugia
www.aboutromania.com
The Cathedral of St. Lawrence
Perugia - The Cathedral of St. Lawrence
At the beginning of the 14th century, Perugia was in the hands of Priors elected Guilds, the heyday of the guild-based commune.  By 1370, Perugia recognized its subordonacy to the Roman Church and Pope, and that marked the beginning of the town's political decline. By 1553 the Church's authority was absolute. In 1860, Perugia was annexed to the Italian State.