© 2000-2012  by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.
Postcards from Perugia
The Church of St.Bevignate
Perugia, Italy - The Church of St. Bevignate
Built (1256-1283) on the site of a previous chapel named after St. Jerome, the Church of St. Bevignate was consacrated in 1283. In 1312 the church was taken over by the Knights of the St. John of Jerusalem. Sisters from the Order of St. John moved there in 1324 and returned the church back to the Knights of the St. John in 1517. In 1860, it was secularized. The interior of the church contains frescoes from 13th and 14th centuries.