© 2000-2012  by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.
Postcards from Perugia
www.aboutromania.com
"Maesta delle Volte" Fountain
Perugia - "Maesta delle Volte" Fountain
Via Maesta delle Volte was the dark medieval thoroughfare in which the votive image of the Virgin and Child was painted in 1297. After a while, in recognition of the devotion of the people, a church was built. The area suffered extensive damage during a fire in 1534. The church has now been converted into a shop for religious ornaments. The fountain in a hollow beneath the church is by the architect Pietro Angelini (1929).