© 2000-2012  by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.
Postcards from Perugia
www.aboutromania.com
St. Juliana's Cloister and Bell-Tower
Perugia - St. Juliana's Cloister and Bell-Tower
The Church and former Convent of St. Juliana dates from 1253. The Cistercian Cardinal, Giovanni da Toledo, promoted the consolidation of the new female monastic movement. The present cloister is a splendit example of 14th century Cistercian architecture and is attributed to Matteo Gattapone. The foundations of the high bell-tower and spire date back to the 13th C. and the upper section is thought to have been built in the 14th century. The cloister's well is dated 1466.