© 2000-2012  by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.
Postcards from Parma
link2romania.com
Church of St. John the Evangelist
The Romanesque style Benedictine complex dates back to the 10th century, but destroyed by fire was rebuilt in Renaissance style between 1490-1519. The arches and the cross vaults in the central nave were frescoed by Michelangelo Anselmi around 1520. The church interior reveals several works by Correggio; his "St. John the Evangelist" is considered the finest of them. Also in the church are works of Girolamo Parmigianino (1503-1540)
Parma, Italy - Church and Monastery of St. John of Evangelist