www.aboutromania.com
Postcards from Romania
Dobrovat Monastery (1504)
Moldova - Dobrovat Monastery
Dobrovat monastery was founded long before Stephen the Great adopted it. He and his wife, Maria Voichita, dedicated the church to the Holy Spirit in 1504. The church is frescoed from floor to roof. The paintings were commissioned by Stephen's son, Petru Rares, in 1529. The monks returned in 1991 to look after the monastery.
© 2000-2012 by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.