www.aboutromania.com
Postcards from Romania
Polovragi Monastery
Close to the monastery is the Polovragi cave, once believed to be the abode of Zamolxis, the Dacians' god. The cave is fully illuminated. First explored in 1860 by French naturalist Lancelot, the cave became famous for the stalactites in its "Candelsticks Gallery".  Since 1984 it has been managed as a natural monument.    
© 2000-2012 by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.