© 2000-2012  by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.
Postcards from Dusseldorf
www.aboutromania.com
The Town Hall
Dusseldorf - The Town Hall
The Town Hall, Rathaus, was built between 1570 and 1573 by Duisburg master builder Heinrich Tussmann to the plans of architect Alexander Pasqualini. Jan Wellem, who ruled from 1679 to 1716, had his court sculptor Grupello immortalise him on horseback while he was still alive and ruling. The people of Dusseldorf regard Jan Wellem, during his sovereign, the city was enlarged and the streets were paved and illuminated by 383 oil lamps at night.