© 2000-2012  by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.
Postcards from Brasov County
aboutromania.com
Brasov - Church of St. Nicholas (1495)
Brasov - St. Nicholas Church (Sf. Niculae)
The Orthodox Church of St. Nicholas (Sf. Nicolae din Scheii Brasovului), was built of wood in 1392 and replaced by the stone church in 1495 by the Wallachian prince Neagoe Basarab, who supported the Romanian community in Brasov. The church of Saint Nicholas was the first Orthodox Church to be built in Transylvania. Beside the church is the First Romanian-language  School (1495), now a museum exhibiting the first Romanian textbooks, printed in Brasov in 1581, and the history of Schei.