|Viscri (Deutsch-Weisskirch), one of the most impressive of all Romanian citadels, set, gleaming white, upon a hill. First mentioned in 1400, the village was heavily destroyed by fire in 1638. The church was built in the 12th century by Szekelys and taken over by Saxons colonists in 1185. Fortified walls were added in the 16th century and towers in 15th, 17th and 18th centuries. From the main tower there's a view of idyllic countryside and the village.
Viscri it is now recognised as a Unesco World Heritage site.