|The legend has it that when the Pied Piper enticed the children from Hamelin in Germany, they vanished underground and emerged near the site of Brasov's main square, known as the Council Square. It is lines with sturdy merchants's houses, with tilted roofs and front shops. The guilds met in the Hirscher Haus (Merchants' Hall). It was built by Apollonia Hirscher, the widow of Brasov mayor, in 1539-45, in the Renaissance style. Today houses the Cerbul Carpatin restaurant. The Romanian Orthodox Cathedral was built from plans by Bartolomeu Baiulescu in 1895-96.