|In the hills to the south of Sambata de Sus, stands a monastery founded by the Wallachian prince Constantin Brancoveanu on the family estate. The Brancoveanu Monastery, founded in 1696, seen by the Hasburgs as the last bastion of Orthodoxy in the Fagaras region, was practically destroyed. Even then the Brancoveanu family held onto the land. In 1926, restauration work started on Sambata's ruins and was completed in 1946. The monastery finally reopen in 1993. Nicolae Ceausescu built a private luxury villa for himself and Elena in the grounds of the monastery.