© 2000-2012  by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.
Postcards from Brasov County
aboutromania.com
Rupea Stronghold
Brasov county - Rupea Stronghold
Rupea (Reps) is a small town dominated by a basalt hill, which is known for its springs of sulphurous, salty water, and is crowned by the remains of three citadels, built between the 13th and 17th centuries. The citadel, called Cetatea Cohalului (Koholom citadel), was first attestated in 1324, when refugees running from the Hungarian king Robert Carol's army took shelter here. Fifteen kilometres north of Rupea is the Saxon village of Roades (Radeln), whose church has some fine frescoes from 16th C.