© 2000-2012  by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.
Postcards from Bran Castle
Click on the picture to display full size
www.aboutromania.com
Bran Castle
Bran Castle
Bran Castle - The inner yard
Bran Castle
Queen Marie's bedroom
Queen Marie's bedroom
Queen Marie's bedroom
Council Hall
Bran Castle - The dining room
Quenn Marie's library
Queen Marie's music room
Queen Marie's music room
Hunting trophies hall
Stella Maris chapel
Bran Castle
The inner yard view
Entrance to the Bran Castle
Entrance to the Bran Castle
Bran Castle's courtyard
Bran Castle's courtyard
Passage at the first floor
Biedermeir living room
                               Commonly known as Dracula 's Castle, the Bran Castle was originally a stronghold built by the Knights of Teutonic Order in 1212. The first documentary attestation of the Bran Castle is the act issued on November 19, 1377, giving the Saxons of Kronstadt (Brasov) the privilage to build the Citadel. The building started in 1378 as a defense against Turks and later became a customs post on the pass between Transylvania and Wallachia. From 1920 the castle became a royal residence until the expulsion of the royal family in 1948. Today it functions as a very attractive museum of medieval arts.