© 2000-2012 by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.
Postcards from Bologna
Bologna - Piazza Maggiore
Bologna - Palazzo Comunale and Palazzo del Podesta
At the northern side of Piazza Magiore and facing St. Petronius Church stands the Palace of the Podesta.The original building known as Old Palace (Palatium Vetus) dated back to the 13th C. Delapidated by the end of the 15th century, when Giovanni II Bentivoglio, lord of the town, ordered its reconstruction. Aristotele Fioravanti, a Bolognese architect famous for the building of the Kremlin Palace in Moskow, started the reconstruction in 1485. The new bulding included a hall large enough for the meetings of the Council of the Four Thousand.