© 2000-2012 by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.
Postcards from Bologna
Bologna - St. Vittore's Church
Bologna - Chiesa di S. Vittore (St. Vittore's Church)
The first documented information regarding a cloister on St. Vittore hill dates back to 1062 and of that early building nothing remains but a small chapel, remodeled into the square apse of today's church. The nave was raised in the following century and the church was consecrated by bishop of Bologna, Giovanni V, in 1178. The well dates back to 1560. The plaques along the inner walls of the cloister recall historical events of the monastery and the famous people who stopped, lived and died there.