© 2000-2012 by aboutromania.com. All rights reserved.
Postcards from Bologna
Bologna - Palace of the Archiginnasio
Bologna - Palace of the Archiginnasio
Palazzo dell'Archiginnasio with the 139 metres long Portico del Pavaglione is the traditional walking mall of the town. Commissioned by Pope Pius IV Medici in 1561 as a unified seat for the town's University, it was erected in 1562-1563 after a project by Antonio Morandi. The palace has only one floor over the portico with sandstone columns. In the palace's courtyard is the chapel of St. Mary of the Bulgarians with fragments of frescoes by Bartolomeo Cesi and the altar piece of the Anunciated by Calvaert.